skip to Main Content

Blue Zone in Costa Rica

Blue Zones are known as geographic areas of the world where people live measurably longer lives.

There are five places in the world designated as blue zones. The Nicoya Peninsula of Costa Rica is one of them.  This area is famous for the inhabitants living an above-average length of life. A blue zone’s residents preserve their mobility, vitality, clarity of mind, overall wellbeing, and passion for life till the end of their lives, which is a highly essential trait.

 

What makes the difference?

What makes the places so different? It is the “lifestyle” of the people that live there. 

Approximately 75,000 people of Costa Rica’s Nicoya Peninsula have followed the same routine for hundreds of years. They are small farmers and cowboys (sabaneros) who work on the vast cattle ranches in the area. You’d never think that this region has the highest life expectancy in the Americas.

There are dusty towns where neighbors gather on porches or small homes where women cook on ancient wood-burning stoves. There is no such thing as “city life in a blue zone.”

According to scientists, less than 25% of a person’s lifespan is determined by genetics, while the remaining 75% is determined by the lifestyle or everyday routine of a lifetime.

A longevity Lifestyle

The people that live in the blue zone of Nicoya Peninsula are called Centenarians, 100+ years on average.

These Centenarians have provided insights on how they were able to live this long:

  • Have a “Plan de Vida” (a strong sense of purpose/reason for living);
  • Drink “Hard Water” (water that is high in calcium);
  • Keep a focus on family;
  • Eating a light dinner;
  • Maintain a social network (frequent visits from neighbors);
  • Keep hard at work (finding joy in everyday chores);
  • Get some sensible sun;
  • Embrace a common history.

If you are fortunate enough to spend time in this part of Costa Rica, you will quickly notice that life moves slower than in the rest of the globe. Multiple generations of families typically live with or near one another, spend time with, learn from, and help. They have stunning surroundings and aren’t afraid to get filthy, feel the sand between our toes, and dive into the salty blue ocean or the sweet water of a nearby river. Many individuals work outside and are fortunate to be able to breathe fresh air and enjoy the sun daily. Surfing, swimming, hiking, fishing, and horseback riding are popular pastimes.

Consuming fresh, local, natural food plays an important role as well. Recipes for fresh, whole meals are typically passed down from generation to generation, and the food is always cooked with love.

Allow yourself to become a part of the Pure Vida lifestyle!

 

WOULD YOU LIKE RESIDENCY IN COSTA RICA?

TAKE OUR FREE RESIDENCY ASSESSMENT QUESTIONNAIRE TODAY


Looking for Real Estate? – Click HERE.
Ready for a Relocation Tour? – Click HERE.
Need to borrow money? – Click HERE.
Want to invest? – Click HERE

This Post Has 0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back To Top
Search