Are you thinking of moving to Costa Rica but not sure if this is the country you would like to make your new home? If you work remotely and earn at least $3,000 USD per month (or $4,000+ USD per family), you can qualify for the Digital Nomad visa. This type of visa allows you to stay longer in Costa Rica than a regular tourist visa.
What kinds of jobs are possible for a digital nomad visa in Costa Rica?
- Digital marketing;
- Graphic design;
- Content creators;
- Editing skills;
- Creative skills;
- Organization and planning, etc.
Advantages of working as a digital nomad in Costa Rica:
There are certain benefits of becoming a digital nomad. For example, in flexible office space, you can work from any place where there is the internet. You do not need to follow the company’s dress code anymore. Work wearing clothes that are comfortable for you! You are the boss of your own time and schedule, and you do not waste your valuable time on traffic jams on the way to work and back home. Therefore, it leads to less stressful working conditions. Everything is becoming more flexible in many ways, so you have the opportunity to enjoy your free time and explore Costa Rica. Moving around a lot, meeting new people, establishing new connections, discovering the beauty of Costa Rica, getting away from the same place routine, and working at the same time – doesn’t it sound exciting?
Digital nomad visa
So, suppose you are ready to make Costa Rica your home, combine vacation mode, and work remotely at the same time. In that case, you now have an opportunity to apply for a non-resident “Digital Nomad Visa” that includes a spouse and children under the age of 25.
Remote workers will be able to get a 1-year visa that can be extended for another year in Costa Rica if the applicant spends at least 180 days in the country during the first year. The good news is that they will be allowed to open local bank accounts and also will not be subject to local income taxes because they are not making money inside Costa Rica.
Among other advantages that are mentioned in the new law are *:
- you will be able to drive in Costa Rica using your home country’s driver’s license as long as your digital nomad status is active (article 19);
- this visa includes an exemption of import taxes for the importation of computers and other technical equipment needed to perform the digital nomad visa holder’s job.
* These benefits are subject to upcoming implementing regulations by the respective government departments.
Requirements to become a digital nomad in Costa Rica:
To qualify for Costa Rica’s digital nomad visa, you will need the following:
- Original bank statements, along with a signed affidavit, need to be presented as proof of a consistent monthly salary fixed income of a minimum of $3,000 USD or more in the previous year. If the applicant wants to apply for benefits for their entire family, their income can be pooled with that of a spouse or other family member and must total at least $4,000 USD.
- Get medical insurance that covers the applicant for the duration of their stay in Costa Rica for coverage of $50,000 USD.
- Pay a Government fee to apply for a non-resident visa as a Worker or Remote Service Provider.
Note: you are not allowed to enter the local labor market and cannot compete with residents for jobs. This means you cannot work for a Costa Rican company. You must work for a company outside of Costa Rica.
Remember: the Digital Nomad doesn’t fall under the Residency category. This is just a 1-year + renewal program. After that, you may want to apply for your residency status and citizenship in the future. For more information, CLICK HERE.
According to Immigration, obtaining a visa for a digital nomad must be a quick and simple process. But to be really honest, given our experience, we don’t think they’ll manage to keep this smooth and stress-free. At the moment, we are still waiting to see the results from Immigration regarding the applications that have already been submitted. As soon as we have some good news to report, we will start accepting new applications again.
If you have any questions regarding a Digital Nomads Visa in Costa Rica, CONTACT US NOW!
Looking for Real Estate? – CLICK HERE.
Need to borrow money? – CLICK HERE.
Want to invest? – CLICK HERE.
Ready for a Relocation Tour? – CLICK HERE.