skip to Main Content

Dual Citizenship In Costa Rica!

Anyone who possesses 2 citizenships is to be considered a dual national, and he or she owes allegiance to more than one country at a time. Being a dual national can be at birth (by descent) or through naturalization (obtaining a new citizenship). A person can even have 3 or more citizenships (multiple citizenship), but this depends on the nationality law of each country and how the citizenships were obtained.

Can I keep U.S. citizenship after becoming a Costa Rican citizen?

Yes. While as a matter of law, naturalization in a foreign state can cause you to forfeit U.S. citizenship, there must be a willful intent to renounce U.S. citizenship. State Department regulations presume that no one willfully intends to give up U.S. citizenship simply by becoming a citizen elsewhere.

Keep in mind that the U.S. authorities do not endorse or encourage dual citizenship. Dual nationals owe allegiance to both the U.S. and the other nation, and they’re required to obey the laws of both nations. A dual U.S.-Costa Rican will be treated solely as a U.S. citizen in the U.S., and solely as a Costa Rican citizen in Costa Rica.

What about other nationalities?

You will need to check with your country of origin to find out what their nationality law is and what they say about obtaining citizenship in a foreign state via naturalization. For example, Canada allows dual citizenship, as it is not possible to lose Canadian citizenship by naturalizing in a foreign state.

As another example, see the below excerpt for citizens of Germany:

German citizenship is automatically lost when a German citizen voluntarily acquires the citizenship of another country, except:
– When the German citizen acquires a nationality from within the European Union, Switzerland, or another country with which Germany has a corresponding treaty.
– When permission to obtain a foreign citizenship has been applied for and granted in advance of foreign naturalization. Failure to obtain so-called permit to retain German citizenship prior to naturalization results in the individual automatically losing German citizenship upon becoming a naturalized citizen of another country.

Growing Migration and Dual Citizenships

One of every one hundred people on this planet live outside of their state of birth. Migration in recent years has reached a a scale unheard of in the past. With the shrinking of the arena via reasonably-priced travel and telecommunications, governments are only beginning to catch up with the unstoppable trend of dual or even multiple citizenships.

In 1995, Costa Rica changed their constitution in such a manner that can be summarized as “Once a Tico, always a Tico” — once nationalized, there is no such thing as a renunciation or involuntary loss of Costa Rican citizenship, no matter what grounds no matter voluntary or involuntary. The only exception to this is if it was obtained fraudulently.

That being said, even though the Costa Rican constitution does not allow for you for renounce your Costa Rican citizenship, you may still do so due to Costa Rica’s adherence to international human rights treaties.

In addition, if you obtain Costa Rican citizenship by residence, your oath of naturalization will include a renunciation of all other allegiances, yet this is not enforced, nor is it recognized by most other nations including the U.S. For example, renouncing Canadian citizenship to a foreign government (such as by taking the Oath of Allegiance to the United States) is not sufficient in itself to be considered as a voluntary renunciation of Canadian citizenship.

So in the end, yes, Costa Rica does support dual citizenship!

This Post Has 20 Comments

  1. Hello and thank you for an informative blog. Our son moved to Costa Rica almost three years ago, has half-interest in his deceased father’s house and purchased, and still owns his own home.

    He has been dating a girl for over two years and she is expecting a child in late July. Our son wants to get dual citizenship after the baby is born. He informed us that he can legally do this once the baby is born, but we have seen nothing to this effect.

    Can you enlighten us? Thank you so very much!!

    1. Hi Ralph,
      Thank you for your comment! Your son is eligible to apply for permanent residence in Costa Rica after the baby is born, with the proper paperwork provided. He can apply for Costa Rican citizenship after 7 years of continuous official residence in Costa Rica, which has several requirements — please see our Residency Categories page for further information.

      Alternatively, if he marries a Costa Rican citizen, he can apply for citizenship after 2 years of marriage provided he has been living in Costa Rica during that time.

      Please use our FREE Assessment or Contact form to get in touch with one of our experts.

  2. Hello. Thank you for the information in your blog. I’m a US citizen and I’m a descendant of Costa Rican parents. I’d like to apply for dual citizenship. What is the needed paperwork to apply?

    Any insight into this matter would be very helpful!

    1. Hi Dean,
      Thank you for your comment! If you were born outside of Costa Rica to Costa Rican parents, you have until 25 years of age to register your birth abroad and become a citizen automatically. If you’re over 25 and haven’t done so, you will need to establish residency first and then apply for naturalization as a foreigner.

      Please use our FREE Assessment or Contact form to get in touch with one of our experts.

  3. If I have dual citizenship but was born in the US and have my Costa Rican citizenship too will my kid get that? I got mine from my mom. My wife is an American citizen only. My dad was and has always been a US citizen only. I have not seen anything that talks about when decent citizenship stops. My mothers parents were both born in Costa Rica and are US citizens as well.

    1. Hi Duncan!
      Thank you for your comment! As a child of a Costa Rican citizen born abroad, your kid would be eligible to opt for Costa Rican citizenship under “Opción de Nacionalidad.” This can be done from a Costa Rican consulate closest to you, or at the Registro Civil office in Costa Rica. Please note that this must be done before your kid is 25 years old, or else he or she loses this option. Please refer to Birth registration for children of Costa Rican citizens.

      As for when descent citizenship stops, as long as a child of a Costa Rican citizen is registered as a citizen before they turn 25, they can pass on that citizenship by descent to their child (before their child turn 25), and so on and so forth, regardless of place of birth.

  4. I have a couple of questions regarding dual citizenship. If someone has USA-Costa Rican dual citizenship, would it be possible to apply for work in the United States which could be worked remotely from Costa Rica while understanding taxes would need to be paid in both countries? If so, what would be the requirements be to be able to do this?

    1. Thank you for getting in touch with CRIE! While we are not US tax lawyers, it is our understanding that you could be eligible for the FEIE (Foreign Earned Income Exclusion) in the US for the first $105,900 in income. That being said, if the work is being performed in Costa Rica, it needs to be reported and taxed in Costa Rica. The requirement in that case would be to sign up as a taxpayer (self-employed) in Costa Rica and issue invoices for services rendered to the US employer. You will need to collect Costa Rican value added tax (IVA) on your services rendered, as well as self-employed contributions to both CCSS (Caja) and self-employment tax in the USA (FICA) since there is no social security agreement between the two countries.

  5. I was born in California but have Costa Rican parents. I live in Texas. How can I obtain dual citizenship?

    1. Hi Alexandra,
      Any person born abroad to a Costa Rican parents can opt for Costa Rican citizenship before the age of 25. The first step is to register your birth abroad either with the Costa Rican consulate corresponding to your place of birth, or bring an Apostilled birth certificate to the Civil Registry in Costa Rica. In the case of minors this can be done by the Costa Rican parent.

      Please note that this should not affect your US citizenship status. However, when you are in Costa Rica, you will be considered only as a Costa Rican citizen.

      The registration of birth must be done before 25 years of age. After that, you will lose the option to enroll as a Costa Rican citizen and must first apply for residence in order to obtain naturalization.

  6. I was born in the U.S. and would like to obtain dual citizenship. My mother was born in Costa Rica but she was adopted to the U.S. I am under 25 years old. Can I still obtain Costa Rican citizenship without having to do naturalization ?

    1. Thank you for your comment! Yes, if you were born outside of Costa Rica to a Costa Rican parent and are under 25, you can register your birth abroad and become a citizen automatically. The first step is to confirm that your mother’s birth record is registered with Registro Civil. Please use our Contact form to get in touch with one of our experts who can help.

  7. My daughter’s father is Costa Rican. Her and I are US citizens, she is a minor. If we go to CR, can he keep her there? What are his rights in CR to her? Can I get her dual-citizenship and still have the same rights to travel as we like?

    1. Thank you for your comment! A person born abroad of a Costa Rican parent must opt for Costa Rican citizenship before the age of 25. Once registered as a citizen of Costa Rica, your daughter will be treated as a Costa Rican citizen when in the country, and as a minor, requires the written consent of both parents in order to leave the country. Please note that it is possible for her father to register her as a Costa Rican citizen without her knowledge or consent, or of yours for that matter. For further details please contact us to get in touch with once of our experts who can help.

  8. Great BLOG. Just came back from CR and want to retire there eventually. I’m US citizen, so is it possible to get dual citizenship if not living in CR and not having any CR parents?

    1. Hi Mike,
      Thank you for the kind words! In your case, the only way to become a Costa Rican citizen is through naturalization via residence, or marriage to a Costa Rican citizen, both of which require a certain length of residence in Costa Rica.

  9. If you apply for dual citizenship (US – Costa Rica), in Costa Rica. Do you lose your military service / disability / retirement money?

    1. Hi Dr. J,
      Thank you for your comment! It is our understanding that you would not lose your US military service / disability / retirement benefits upon naturalization in Costa Rica, so long as you retain your US citizenship and do not voluntarily renounce your US citizenship (which is a lengthy and expensive process in itself). Please refer to the Dual Nationality page at the US State Department. “A U.S. citizen may naturalize in a foreign state without any risk to his or her U.S. citizenship.”

  10. Hello,
    My wife & I are considering a move to Costa Rica. Both of us are retired but I have an active business online selling collectible Vinyl Records. How does the import duty thing work to bring 100s in at a time and is there any way that I can still conduct sales online until I can gain dual USA Costa Rica citizenship at which point as I understand it, I am good to go as far as “working” in Costa Rica? Thanks for any help that you may give and great blog…very informative!

    1. Hi Dell,
      Thank you for your comment! Import duties in Costa Rica are 29.9% for vinyl records (LPs) and 49.27% for turntables or other music playing devices. In order to obtain Costa Rican citizenship, you would need to first obtain Costa Rican residency via one of the applicable Costa Rica residency categories. Citizenship by residence requires 7 years living in Costa Rica as a resident.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back To Top
×Close search