skip to Main Content

Living in The Costa Rica Blue Zone

Would you benefit from living in a Blue Zone?

Blue Zones are known as demographic and/or geographic areas of the world where people live measurably longer lives.

There are five places in the world designated as blue zones. The Nicoya Peninsula of Costa Rica is one of those zones.  This area is famous for the inhabitants living an above-average length of life. A very important characteristic of a blue zone, in addition to the longevity of its people, is the fact that they maintain their mobility, vigor, clarity of mind, general wellness and zest for life to the end of their lives.

What makes the difference?

What makes the places so different? It is the “lifestyle” of the people that live there. 

The estimated 75,000 or so residents of the Nicoya Peninsula in Costa Rica, have lived the same lifestyle for hundreds of years. They are small farmers, laborers cowboys (sabaneros) who work the area’s huge cattle ranches. You would never guess that this zone is a place with the longest life expectancy in the Americas.

There are dusty villages where neighbors visit each other on porches or from the rural homes where women still cook on ancient wood-burning stoves. The typical “city life” does not exist in a blue zone.

According to Scientist,  less than 25% of how long a person lives is linked to genetics and the other 75% comes from lifestyle, t daily routine over a lifetime.

A longevity Lifestyle

The people that live in the blue zone of Nicoya Peninsula are called Centenarians, people that 100+ years on average.

These Centenarians have given an account of how they managed to live for so long, in the form of tips:

  • Have a “Plan de Vida” (a strong sense purpose/reason for living)
  • Drink “Hard Water” (water that is high in Calcium)
  • Keep a Focus on Family (living with the family)
  • Eating a light dinner (eating fewer calories)
  • Maintain a Social Network (frequent visits from neighbors)
  • Keep hard at work (finding joy in everyday chores)
  • Get some sensible sun (sunshine produces vitamin D)
  • Embrace a common history

That’s It!

WOULD YOU LIKE RESIDENCY IN COSTA RICA?

TAKE OUR FREE RESIDENCY ASSESSMENT QUESTIONNAIRE TODAY

 

This Post Has 0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back To Top
×Close search
Search