skip to Main Content

Are you married to a Costa Rican citizen? If so, you may qualify for residency in Costa Rica through marriage.

Residency Specifications

• Must provide documentary proof of the marriage’s validity, such as photos (of the wedding and other events), proof of cohabitation, and communication between spouses (such as phone records, e-mails etc).
• Temporary Residency – valid for 1 year, renewable.
• Can apply for permanent residency without conditions after 3 years.
• Must be in Costa Rica at least 1 day per year.
• Can work as an employee or independent worker.
• Can own a company and receive dividends.

Document Requirements

The following documents are required for submitting the application for temporary residence as a spouse of a Costa Rican:

  1. Criminal Background Check.
  2. Birth Certificate.
  3. Application Form (CRIE will complete this for you)
  4. Application Cover Letter (CRIE will complete this for you)
  5. Fingerprints (Obtained from a Local Police Station in Costa Rica, CRIE will assist you with this)
  6. Certified Copy of the passport (CRIE will complete this for you)
  7. Consular Registration (CRIE will assist you to complete)
  8. Six passport size photographs (Completed when you visit our office)
  9. Three copies of the Costa Rican spouse’s national ID (cédula de identidad) front and back
Two Installment Plan - $1800
Ask us about discounts for paying in full in advance!
  • Once application is submitted and a case number is provided
  • Includes:
  • Application status tracking
  • Constant in-person follow-ups at immigration offices
  • Responding to feedback from immigration
  • Facilitating the issuance of your first residency card (DIMEX)
  • Additional $500 per dependent (Child)
  1. CRIE includes the Application Fee ($50) and the Change of Status Fee ($200), as well as the required legal stamps, deposited to immigration on your behalf.
  2. Translations to Spanish of 1 birth certificate, 1 typical “clean sheet” police record, 1 consular registration, and 1 passport are included.
  3. Certified copies of standard passport and application documents are included.

Pricing does NOT include:

  • Obtaining legalized or apostilled documents from your home country, such as birth certificates, police records, or marriage certificates (CRIE can assist you with this for an additional fee).
  • CCSS Registration upon approval of your residency (CRIE can assist you with this for an additional fee).
  • Guarantee Deposit upon approval — depending on your country of origin (examples: USA $361, Canada $483, Spain $1,061, United Kingdom $1,301).
  • The cost of your first residency card (DIMEX) — typically $98 for this residency category.
  • Getting your Costa Rican Driver’s License.
Back To Top
×Close search