Once your Costa Rican residency is issued, it will be good for a limited time before it needs to be renewed.
This is typically one year in the case of work permits and spousal residency, two years for pensionados and rentistas, and two to five years for permanent residency.
For all renewals the following is required:
- Your resident card (DIMEX)
- Your current passport
- Proof of continued affiliation with the Caja Costarricense de Seguro Social (CCSS)
- Receipt of payment for renewal (typically $123 or $98 — more if your residency is already expired)
Temporary residencies and work permits will have additional requirements, typically to show that you still qualify for that residency category.
- Residency Card (DIMEX)
- Verifying CCSS Status
- Government Fees
- Certified copies (where applicable)
- Translations (where applicable)
- Power of Attorney