How is Winter in Costa Rica? The question…
Do you have an expired tourist visa or DIMEX card? Are you looking to travel soon? Watch out for your visa late fees in Costa Rica! Costa Rica Immigration (La Migración) charges fines for people trying to leave the country with an:
– Expired DIMEX with Temporary Residency/Special Categories
– Overstayed Tourist Visas
Those fines need to be paid at the time of attempting to leave the country.
Who is Exempt?
Those exempt from the fines are on the following list (supplied by La Migración):
- Refugees, asylum seekers, and stateless persons;
- Persons of legal age with disabilities;
- Cross-border workers;
- Tourists stay up to date;
- Permanent residents, EVEN those who have the DIMEX expired;
- Those who have extended or renewed their permanent residence;
- Those who have made a change of immigration category;
- Those who have been denied on their residency application but at the time of their departure have not been notified;
- Those who have been denied residency were notified but have filed an appeal.
How much are the fines?
As indicated in article 33, paragraph 3, a fine of USD $100 USD is applied for each expired month that the person remained in the country irregularly.
How can you pay the fines?
If you have to pay the fines, they can be paid via the following methods:
Via Bank of Costa Rica (BCR) at any of the agencies of the Bank of Costa Rica throughout the country in the following accounts in the name of the Ministry of Finance:
|Account in Colones||80051-1|
|SINPE account number||15201001008005117|
|Account in Dollars||80054-6|
|SINPE account number||15201001008005465|
The receipt must state your name just as it appears on your passport or the DIMEX. The payment receipt will be asked for at the time of departing the country. If you fail to show the payment receipt, you may experience a delay trying to exit the country and possibly receive an entry ban trying to re-enter Costa Rica.
Fines may also be paid at BCR “Puntos Tucán.” Tucán is BCR’s new Financial Correspondent. It is a tool available in affiliated businesses for easy and prompt transactions.
Need your DIMEX renewal? – Contact us now!